Search Sue's Blog

Tuesday 19 May 2015

THE TRUTH ABOUT ELLEN - a guest post by Sarah Louise Smith

Today I have the pleasure of welcoming fellow Crooked Cat author Sarah Louise Smith, whose latest novel, The Truth About Ellen, is released today. 




Welcome, Sarah!  Over to you...


Thank you to Sue for hosting me on your blog today. A big goofy wave to anyone who hasn’t read anything by me before; I’m Sarah Louise Smith and I write chick-lit novels; you know, girl meets boy and has a load of complications. Romantic comedy.

Here’s an extract from my fourth novel, The Truth About Ellen… 

Yesterday Ellen met Tom, a member of the band Four Ape, whom she'd adored when she was a teenager…

Saturday morning, I woke up and wondered where the hell I was. There was no ginger cat next to me, and it was too dark. Even at night, my bedroom at home had light flooding in from the street lamp out- side. Then I remembered. The hotel. Thick heavy curtains.
I turned over and saw a tiny slither of sunlight creeping in between a small gap in the curtains.
Tom. Tom Green.
 Oh wow.
 I sat up in bed. My head hurt. Ouch. How much did I drink? I got out of bed and found my way to the bathroom, then rooted around in my bag for a bottle of water. I took a long drink and sat down on the edge of the bed again.
I’d kissed Tom Green.
And wow, it had been something. Soft at first, but then more rough and firm, and he’d pressed his body up against mine. Then he’d whispered good night and turned and left me outside my hotel room door, feeling confused, disappointed, and horny as hell.
Still, I was pretty sure I’d fallen asleep immediately because I couldn’t remember anything after my head touched the pillow.
I opened the curtains, squinting as the light hurt my eyes.
There he was; just like when I’d met him, lying on his stomach, reading his book, but just a little fur- ther up the embankment, not far from the bench. I couldn’t wait to get out there and join him.
I rushed around getting ready as quickly as my sore head would allow. I wolfed down a cereal bar to calm my hangover-induced carb cravings and pulled on my best, most flattering pair of skinny jeans, a cute black top and a hot pink cardigan. I grabbed my book and was strolling across the grass towards Tom when he sat up and crossed his legs, looking out towards the lake.
He heard me approaching and turned to smile at me. “Good morning,” I said happily.
“Hey,” he said, still smiling.
“Do you mind if I join you?”
“Of course not. I’ve been waiting for you,” he said, patting the space next to him.
I sat and he leaned in and kissed my cheek, sending shivers through my whole body. This was real. I was officially having a weekend fling with Tom from Four Ape. This was happening and it wasn’t just because he’d had a drink. I mean, I assumed he was sober now anyway. He smiled at me.
“Sorry, was that okay?”

“That was very okay,” I said, leaning in and kissing him on the mouth.

“You smell amazing.”

“I was thinking the same about you.”

He grinned and I forced myself to look away from him and out towards the lake.

“What a lovely day,” I said, putting my legs out in front of me and resting back on my elbows.
“Gorgeous isn’t it. Did you sleep well?”

“Very. Went out like a light.”

“Me too.”

“How’s the book?”

“It’s good. You should read some more.”

“I will,” I said, picking up my paperback.
We sat in the sun for a while, reading, talking now and then. Tom ran up to the hotel and brought us both back some orange juice and bacon sandwiches.
“Listen to that,” I said, around mid-morning. “What?”
“The birds. The buzz of a bee. No traffic, no neighbour’s kids. No telephones. Peaceful heaven.”
---
Sound like your sort of thing? There are more details below. Thanks so much for reading!


The Truth About Ellen

It’s every girl’s dream to date a pop star...

When Ellen starts dating Tom, a member of the band she adored as a teenager, she can’t believe how lucky she is.

She neglects to mention that she's a huge fan because that just wouldn’t be cool, would it?

Ellen also keeps quiet about how she once spent an evening with Tom’s ex-bandmate/ex-best friend Jasper, her long-term celebrity crush. Tom doesn’t need to know about that, it’s all in the past.

That is until Tom and Jasper get back in touch… and the truth threatens to ruin everything Ellen has ever dreamed of...

The Truth About Ellen is available to buy from:



About Sarah Louise Smith

Sarah Louise Smith lives in Milton Keynes, England with her husband, step-daughter, loopy golden retriever and cheeky tortie cat.

Sarah has been writing stories since she can remember and has so far completed four chick-lit novels, all published by Crooked Cat:
Amy & Zach
Izzy’s Cold Feet
Independent Jenny
The Truth About Ellen

Connect with Sarah:






 

No comments:

Post a Comment